Are you an aspiring podcaster eagerly searching for podcast topics to discuss on your show? Or perhaps you’re a seasoned host seeking fresh podcast ideas to breathe new life into your podcast?
Whatever the case may be, selecting captivating podcast topics is essential to engage your audience and make your show stand out from the crowd.
Podcasting is a powerful medium that allows you to share your passions, expertise and unique perspectives with the world. By choosing the right topics to talk about on a podcast, you have the opportunity to entertain, educate, and inspire your audience.
If you’re a podcast host, try these podcast topic ideas and you can create a successful podcast that not only engages your listeners but also fulfills your own creative and intellectual pursuits!
Without wasting any more time, let’s jump right into the diversity of the podcasting world!
Start your own podcast now: How To Start A Podcast In 2023
Podcast Topic and Podcast’s Niche
To start a podcast, one of the crucial steps is to choose your podcast topic and niche. This decision sets the foundation for your podcast and plays a significant role in attracting and engaging your podcast audience.
A podcast topic refers to the subject or theme that your podcast revolves around. It is the central focus of your show and the main subject matter that you explore, discuss, and provide insights on. The topic you choose should align with your interests, expertise, and the target audience you wish to attract.
A podcast niche, on the other hand, is a more specific and specialized subset within a broader topic. It narrows down your podcast’s focus even further, targeting a specific audience segment with shared interests and passions.
For example, if your podcast topic is “Fitness,” your niche could be “Bodyweight Workouts for Busy Professionals” or “Healthy Eating for Plant-Based Athletes.” By selecting a niche, you narrow down your target audience and differentiate your show from the numerous podcasts covering general fitness topics.
How to choose the right podcast topics?
Identify Your Passion and Expertise: Consider your own interests, knowledge, and expertise. Choose topics that you are passionate about and feel confident discussing.
Research and Understand Your Audience: Determine who your target audience is and what they are interested in. Conduct market research, analyze trends, and study your audience’s preferences.
Stay Relevant and Timely: Keep up with current events, industry trends, and popular culture. Choose podcast ideas that are relevant and timely, as they are more likely to attract listeners.
Experiment and Seek Feedback: Don’t be afraid to try new topics and formats. Experiment with different ideas and gauge your audience’s response.
You haven’t found your podcast topic yet? Did you just run out of podcast ideas?
Get ready to discover the ideal podcast topic that aligns with your interests, expertise, and the desires of your audience in the following session!
Read more: How To Record A Podcast
10+ Topics To Talk About On A Podcast
1. True Crime, Unresolved Events
True crime is a gripping and popular podcast topic that delves into real-life criminal cases, captivating listeners with its intriguing narratives and suspenseful interesting stories.
It’s worth noting that true crime podcasts can cover a wide range of subtopics, such as cold cases, infamous serial killers, historical crimes, or even conspiracy theories. This allows for a diverse audience with varying interests within the true crime genre.
One effective way to make your podcast stand out from other podcasts in this field is to interview people relevant to the cases you’re discussing.
- Fascinated with the darker side of human nature.
- Enjoys analyzing evidence and speculating on unsolved cases.
- Has a genuine interest in the subject matter.
- Possesses excellent storytelling skills
By understanding the characteristics of both the podcaster and the audience, you can create great podcast ideas that resonate with true crime enthusiasts and keeps them coming back for more.
Some podcast episode ideas
- Mysterious Disappearances
- Cold Cases
- Unsolved Heists
2. Comedy podcast
Another good podcast topic is Comedy. When it comes to comedy podcasts, there is a specific type of podcaster and audience that is well-suited to this genre.
One of the strengths of a comedy podcast is the opportunity to invite guests to share their own funny stories and experiences. This adds variety to the show and allows for different perspectives and comedic styles.
My Journey as a Comedian: My Saigon Comedy Journey after 7 Years Of Being Too Scared
If you’re considering starting a comedy podcast, it’s important to understand the qualities that make a podcaster suitable for this style of content and the audience that is drawn to it.
- Looking for a source of entertainment and laughter in everyday life.
- Appreciate the ability of comedians to shed light on relatable experiences and find humor in the mundane.
- Has a natural sense of humor and ability to find comedic moments.
- Excels at storytelling and has a knack for delivering funny anecdotes and entertaining narratives.
Related post: 10 Stand-Up Comedians With Podcasts
3. Finance Podcast
Finance is a highly relevant podcast topic that covers a wide range of areas related to personal finance, investing, money management, and wealth building.
A finance podcast aims to educate and empower listeners to make informed financial decisions and achieve their financial goals.
Remember, it’s important to consult with a financial professional before making any significant financial decisions.
- Entrepreneurs and Small Business Owners
- Individuals with families who want to learn about budgeting, saving for their children’s education, planning for retirement
- Has expertise or a strong interest in finance, economics, or related fields
- Can simplify complex financial concepts
4. Celebrity News Podcast
A Celebrity News podcast is a good podcast idea that caters to the fascination people have with the lives of celebrities. It provides an opportunity for listeners to stay up-to-date with the latest gossip, news, and happenings in the world of entertainment.
Furthermore, some podcasters may consider creating a podcast version of their show, allowing the audience to tune in at their convenience and stay updated on the latest news.
- Pop culture followers, and fans of specific celebrities.
- Interested in the lives of their favorite stars, seeking the latest updates
- Thrives on staying informed about the lives of celebrities, closely following their careers, relationships, and even their personal struggles.
- Possesses a knack for gathering accurate information from reliable sources and presenting it in an engaging and entertaining way.
- Has a charismatic personality, an excellent command of storytelling.
To make the podcast even more appealing, hosts can incorporate short stories about their own encounters with celebrities in reality shows, live events, or by conducting celebrity interviews to let them share behind-the-scenes stories, their typical day…
5. Tech Podcast
It is a podcast dedicated to discussing technology is an excellent way to explore the ever-evolving world of tech, gadgets, and digital innovation. Tech podcasts cater to a wide range of enthusiasts, professionals, and curious individuals who are passionate about this field.
Remember, the tech industry is vast and ever-changing, so staying up-to-date with the latest developments and trends is crucial.
- Enthusiasts, professionals, entrepreneurs, students, and anyone with a general interest in the digital world.
- Eager to learn about cutting-edge technologies, industry news, product reviews
- Love podcasts discussing artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, blockchain, software development, and more.
- Possesses a strong knowledge base in technology,
- Has a keen interest in exploring new gadgets and software
- Can effectively communicate complex concepts in a relatable and engaging manner
- Artificial Intelligence
- Virtual Reality
- The Future of Robotics
6. History podcast
A podcast talking about History is another great podcast idea. A history podcast allows its podcast audience to explore a vast range of topics, from the rise and fall of empires to the intricacies of social movements and cultural shifts throughout time.
These episodes uncover fascinating historical events, figures, and eras, offering a fresh perspective on the past.
- History enthusiasts, students, professionals, and even casual listeners with a passing interest in history.
- Seek to deepen their understanding of a particular historical period.
- Educators, storytellers with a deep interest and knowledge in history.
- Weave narratives, provide insightful analysis, and present historical facts
To make your history podcast stand out in Apple Podcasts, Spotify… apply these tips:
- Invite Listeners to Share Their Stories: Encourage your listeners to share their own historical anecdotes, family stories, or personal connections.
- Create content that is both informative and entertaining.
- Tell lesser-known, short stories.
Podcast episode ideas
- Unsolved Mysteries in History
- Art history
- Ancient Egypt
- World War stories
7. Alternative Living
Alternative living refers to lifestyles and practices that deviate from the conventional norms of society. This is a perfect podcast idea as more people are becoming conscious of their environmental impact and seeking ways to live more sustainable and fulfilling lives, the interest in alternative living has grown.
The podcast may also explore the social, environmental, and economic implications of alternative living, discussing the impact it can have on individuals, communities, and the planet as a whole.
- Environmentally conscious individuals, minimalists, off-the-grid enthusiasts, homesteaders, eco-conscious families…
- Practicing alternative lifestyles and seeking further inspiration
- Curious about making changes in their own lives but are unsure where to start
- Knowledgeable, passionate, and authentic in their field
- Environmental activists, sustainability experts…
8. Travel podcast
A travel podcast is a wonderful podcast topic to share your adventures, inspire others to explore the world and provide valuable insights and tips for travelers. It allows podcast hosts and guests to share their travel stories, offers practical advice, and inspires listeners to embark on their own adventures.
Remember to stay authentic, share your unique perspective, and bring your passion for travel to every episode
- Travel enthusiasts, adventure seekers
- Interested in learning about new destinations and cultures
- Looking for more tips and experiences about traveling
- Have a deep passion for travel
- Have experiences in this field and want to share them with others
- Destination Highlights
- Travel Tips and Advice
- Food and Drink Exploration
9. Language Learning Podcast
A language learning podcast is a valuable resource for individuals looking to enhance their language skills and broaden their cultural understanding.
Through your language learning podcast, you have the opportunity to teach listeners not just the mechanics of a language but also the cultural aspects that go hand in hand with it.
- Language learners at any level
- Have a cultural or familial connection to the language they are learning
- Have the ability to communicate and teach people effectively
- Should have access to a variety of language learning resources
So, if you have a passion for languages and a desire to teach people, starting a language-learning podcast can be a fulfilling and impactful endeavor.
10. Mental Health and Wellness Podcast
More and more people are recognizing the significance of taking care of their mental well-being alongside their physical health. Therefore, it is an interesting podcast topic that can attract a diverse audience.
- Individuals struggling with mental health issues, seek personal development and well-being.
- Caregivers, mental health professionals.
- Have a background in psychology, counseling, therapy, or personal experience with mental health challenges.
- Possess a compassionate and empathetic nature, along with a strong desire to educate and help others.
11. “How-to” Podcast
“How to” is a new podcast idea that has become so popular recently. It provides practical and step-by-step instructions on various topics, helping listeners acquire new skills, solve problems, and achieve their goals.
- Beginners looking to acquire new skills.
- Characterized by their curiosity, and motivation for personal growth.
- Have a talent for breaking down complex concepts into easily understandable steps.
- An expert or enthusiast in a specific field or skillset, equipped with extensive knowledge and hands-on experience.
- How to start a…
- How to practice…
- How to master…
12. Beauty and Fashion Podcast
A beauty and fashion podcast is a great way to explore the latest trends, share beauty tips, and discuss topics related to style and self-expression.
This podcast focuses on all things beauty and fashion, covering a wide range of topics including makeup, skincare, haircare, fashion trends, style tips, product reviews, short stories or live events in the industry…
You should give an advice column, interview people or have Q&A sessions to make successful podcasts and engage your podcast listeners.
- Have an interest in beauty, fashion, and self-care.
- Look for basic beauty tips, discussions on trends and techniques, and professionals in the industry.
- Fashion and beauty enthusiast/professional
- A stylist, makeup artist
13. Entrepreneur/ Founders podcast
In this type of podcast, the hosts interview founders and entrepreneurs from various industries, exploring their journeys, challenges, strategies, and lessons learned along the way. The podcast provides a platform for aspiring entrepreneurs and business enthusiasts to gain inspiration, knowledge, and practical advice from those who have achieved success.
- Aspiring entrepreneurs, small business owners, startup enthusiasts, and anyone interested in the stories and strategies behind successful businesses.
- Want to learn from real-life experiences, gain practical tips, and stay up-to-date with the latest trends in the entrepreneurial world.
- Stay well-informed and continuously educate themselves about the latest developments in the business
- Have excellent communication skills to conduct interviews and lead engaging discussions.
Some Other Podcast Topics For You
Food podcast: Discuss culinary delights, recipes, food trends, and explore the cultural significance of different cuisines.
Sports podcast: Cover the latest sports news, share insights, and engage in discussions about teams, players, and games.
Musical instrument podcast: This is a podcast discussing various musical instruments, their history, playing techniques, maintenance tips, and interviews with musicians.
Advice podcast: An advice podcast offers guidance, support, and practical tips on various life topics, such as relationships, career, personal development, mental health, and more.
Behind-the-scenes podcast: provide listeners with behind-the-scenes stories of different industries, events, or creative processes. It offers exclusive insights, interviews with professionals, and firsthand accounts of the inner workings and stories that shape a particular field or project.
Law podcast: A law podcast focuses on legal topics, providing valuable information, analysis, and discussions on legal issues, current events, court cases, and legislation.
ASMR podcast (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response): ASMR podcasts aim to trigger a pleasurable tingling sensation and a sense of relaxation in listeners. These podcasts use gentle sounds, whispers, or soft-spoken voices to create a calming and soothing effect.
Prepare A Podcast Outline
The best way to stay on track and keep your listeners engaged is to keep an outline next to you. If you are having a new guest on your show, who has no idea how to act on podcast episodes, (such as rambling on that one question that was supposed to be a short introduction!!!) a well-prepared questionnaire helps you and the guest to stay on track.
Talk To Your Listeners
Dozens or thousands of people are listening to you. What would be more engaging than bringing your listeners into the conversation, too?
For this, set up a podcast show’s social media page on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. While they are listening to your show, they can tweet their answers on Twitter or enter a mini giveaway game on Instagram.
You can also encourage listeners for a Q&A and let them answer in your podcast show. What’s next? Answer those questions in the NEXT episode! You just encouraged people to not only listen, interact but also to keep them excited for the next episode.
As a podcaster, you are a content creator too. Keep up a consistent schedule when you publish podcast episodes and promote them on your social media channels and e-mail list.
Let people know that your show is a dedicated channel where they can rely on your great content on a regular basis.
Don’t Sell Stuff Every Episode
If you have an audio podcast and have built up a loyal listenership then people are more likely to support your show when you mention products, services, or subscriptions.
However, overselling is just going to kill your podcast efforts. Unless you are part of a podcast network, ads are inevitable in your episodes.
Remember, that the more engaging and trustworthy podcast host you are the more listeners will trust YOU. As a result, eventually buy from you, anyways.
Related Post: What Are Podcast Networks And When To Join One
Podcast Topic Ideas Conclusion
Once you have chosen your podcast topic, it’s important to invest time in planning and preparation. Develop a content strategy, outline podcast ideas, and ensure a consistent release schedule. Engage with your audience, invite guest speakers, and continuously improve your podcast based on feedback and insights. Remember, building successful podcasts takes dedication and persistence.
In the ever-growing world of podcasting, there is a niche for everyone. Take the time to explore various topics, conduct research, and identify gaps or areas of interest that align with your passions.
By selecting a unique and fascinating podcast topic, you have the opportunity to share your voice, connect with like-minded individuals, and make a lasting impact in the podcasting community. So, go ahead, choose your topic, hit the record button, and embark on an exciting podcasting journey that will inspire and engage your listeners.